European Painting before 1900, Johnson Collection
The Four Seasons: SpringMade in Belgium, Europe
Léon Frédéric, Belgian, 1856 - 1940
Oil on canvas© Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / SABAM, Brussels
49 x 32 11/16 x 1 3/4 inches (124.5 x 83 x 4.5 cm)
* Gallery 159, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Annenberg Galleries)
1993-23-1Bequest (by exchange) of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert C. Morris, 1993
Goldschmidt-Clermont collection, Brussels, early 20th century . De Borchgrave d'Altena collection, Brussels, 1930 ; Comte Bernard Dominique de Borchgrave d'Altena, Brussels (b. 1916), as of 1940 ; his son Count Axel de Borchgrave d'Altena de Becker-Remy (b. 1942), Brussels; sold to PMA through agent, Willy d'Huysser Gallery, Brussels, 1993.
1. See Belgian Art, 1880-1914 (exh. cat.), Brooklyn Museum, 1980, no. 32. "La Nature", the central panel of the pentaptych, was still listed as being owned by "P. Goldschmidt, Brussels" in the catalogue of the 1948 Brussels exhibition "Exposition rétrospective Léon Frédéric".
2. A letter of February 2, 1993 from Count de Borchgrave (curatorial file) states that these four paintings have been in his family since 1930.
3. According to a 1940 typescript catalogue of Frédéric's oeuvre by his son Georges Frédéric, cited in a letter of May 25, 1994 from Sura Levine to PMA curator Christopher Riopelle (curatorial file).
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.