Designed by Charles Eames, American, 1907 - 1978, and Ray Eames, American, 1912 - 1988. Made from 1947 to 1948 by Evans Products Company, Venice, California and Grand Haven, Michigan(Molded Plywood Division). Made from 1949 by Herman Miller Furniture Company, Zeeland, Michigan, 1923 - present.
In the early 1940s, the Eameses began trying out various wood molding techniques. These experiments, carried out in their small apartment, led to a commission from the U.S. Navy in 1942 to develop plywood splints, stretchers, and glider shells. They used the same wood molding technique to produce this boldly innovative plywood chair.