European Decorative Arts and Sculpture
Dish from the "Arabesque" Service
Made by Sèvres porcelain factory, Sèvres, France, 1756 - present. Decoration designed by Louis Le Masson, French, born 1743. Decoration executed by Pierre-Antoine Méreaud, French, active 1754 - 1791.
Soft-paste porcelain with enamel and gilt decoration
Currently not on view
|Gift (by exchange) of the nephews of Mrs. Morris Hawkes, Edith T. Fisher, Charlton Yarnall, an anonymous donor, Mrs. John Harrison, W. Stanleigh Kewson, the Walter J. Johnson Memorial, and Mr. and Mrs. Edward B. Smith; bequest (by exchange) of Sophie E. Pennebaker; and (by exchange) with the John D. McIlhenny Fund and the Joseph E. Temple Fund, 2003|
LabelThis dish is part of a service that was commissioned by King Louis XVI of France (ruled 1774 to 1792). Le Masson based the decoration on engravings made after early sixteenth-century frescoes in the Vatican Loggia, which were created under the direction of Raphael. Le Masson was given access to a set of the engravings of the frescoes that had been a gift to the king from Pope Pius VI.