From a state service of Benjamin Harrison (President 1889-1893)
Designed by Caroline Lavinia Scott Harrison, American, 1832 - 1892, with Paul Putzki, German, 1858 - 1936. Made by Tressemanes & Vogt, Limoges, France, 1891 - c. 1919. Imported by M. W. Beveridge, Washington, D.C., 1870 - 1900.
First Lady Caroline Scott Harrison (1832–1892), an avid china painter, designed a new dining service of soup, dinner, breakfast, and tea plates with references to the Lincoln state service in the overall shape and in the inclusion of the Arms of the United States at the center. American flora were represented by the corn and goldenrod traced in gold on the border. Her designs were given in 1891 to the Washington, D.C., retail firm M. W. Beveridge, which secured sample plates from several factories in Limoges. Mrs. Harrison chose the plate made by Tressemanes and Vogt, a Limoges factory directed by the retail firm Vogt and Dose in New York.