Designed by Frank O. Gehry, American (born Canada), 1929. Made by New City Editions, Venice, California.
Gehry has been designing fish-shaped sculpture and architecture since 1981, when he made a standing fish column for a residential project. For a New York Architectural League exhibition that same year he created a suspension bridge that was supported at one end by a pylon (designed by sculptor Richard Serra) and at the other end by a Gehry fish leaning backward into the water. In 1982 the Formica Corporation developed ColorCore laminate and invited Gehry and other architects to use the new material in inventive ways. Gehry broke the ColorCore into irregular fragments, which he used for the scales of a series of sculptural fish lamps.