Return to Previous Page


Made by Tiffany Studios, Corona, New York, 1902 - 1938

c. 1905

Leaded glass, patinated bronze

Shade: 15 1/4 × 29 3/4 inches (38.7 × 75.6 cm) Armature: 5 feet (152.4 cm)

Curatorial Department:
American Art

Object Location:

Currently not on view

Accession Number:

Credit Line:
Gift of the Shipley Family, 2012

Social Tags [?]

grapes [x]   green [x]   leaves [x]   purple [x]   trellis [x]  

[Add Your Own Tags]

This chandelier was purchased in about 1905 from Tiffany Studios by Guy Kent Fullagar—the treasurer for the company’s board of directors—for his summer home in Dunkirk, New York. The grape trellis pattern probably was created by Clara Driscoll, the company’s principal designer of leaded-glass shades. Following Louis Comfort Tiffany’s dictum “Nature is always beautiful,” Driscoll’s compositions featured dramatic juxtapositions of plant forms against contrasting backgrounds. She chose different colors and textures of glass to create the brilliant greens, reds, blues, and purples of the foliage and ripe fruit, set off against a lightwood trellis mottled by the oranges and yellows of a late afternoon summer sky.

Return to Previous Page