European Decorative Arts and Sculpture
Choir Screen from the Chapel of the Château of PagnyMade in France, Europe
Near Dijon, France, Europe
Artist/maker unknown, French
1930-1-84a--dPurchased with funds contributed by Eli Kirk Price from the Edmond Foulc Collection, 1930
LabelThis screen, the central interior element of the chapel at the château of Pagny, is one of the finest structures surviving from the French Renaissance. The coats of arms over the central archway are those of Cardinal Claude de Givry, Archbishop of Langres; Philippe Chabot, admiral of France and governor of Burgundy; and Françoise de Longvy, wife of Chabot, niece of Givry, and the heiress of Pagny. While Chabot owned the château, the archbishop played a role in the decoration of the chapel. The statues that stand above at left and right are probably Saints Claude and Philip. At center are the Virgin Mary and Saint John. Originally, a stone sculpture of Christ on the cross stood on the column capital at the top of the arch.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.