Pensive Young Brunette
Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, French, 1796 - 1875
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
9 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches (24.1 x 19.1 cm)
Framed: 15 1/2 x 13 7/8 x 3 1/8 inches (39.4 x 35.2 x 7.9 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Gallery 154, European Art 1850-1900, first floorAccession Number:
The Louis E. Stern Collection, 1963
Social Tags [?]
There are currently no user tags associated with this object.
[Add Your Own Tags
Sale, Corot, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, May 26-June 9, 1875, (deuxième partie) no. 450; purchased by M. Legendre, Paris. Alexis Rouart (1839–1911), Paris ; Alphonse Kann (1870-1948), Paris; confiscated by the ERR, 1940 ; Munich Central Collecting Point, June 23, 1945 to May 23, 1946 ; repatriated to France, May 23, 1946 ; restituted to Alphonse Kann, Paris, July 11, 1947 ; with André Weil at the Matignon Galleries, Paris, 1949; sold to Louis E. Stern, New York, May 31, 1949; bequest to PMA, 1963.
1. There are two Alexis Rouarts, one (1839-1911) is the brother of the artist and collector Henri Rouart (1833-1912) and the other (1869-1921) is the son of Henri Rouart. The Corot does not appear in the 1912-13 sales of Henri Rouart's collections by his children. It may be in the May 8-10, 1911 Hôtel Drouot sale of the elder Alexis Rouart.
2. The ERR was an art-looting task force of the Nazi regime. The ERR inventory number Ka 38 is painted on the upper stretcher. The corresponding ERR card can be found at the National Archives, RG260, OMGUS Property Division, Misc. Records, ERR Card File, 1940-45, Box 6, 390/45/34/7-2.
3.Inventory number 366/Aussee 292/2. National Archives RG260, Records of the Munich Collecting Point, Records Relating to Property Accession 1945-50, Box 492, 390/45/27/05.
4. No. 119 on French Receipt No 7a, shipment 660. National Archives, RG260, Records of the Munich Collecting Point, Receipts: Restitution 1945-49, Box 286, 390/45/23/03.
5. Materials in the archives of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs indicate that the painting was returned to Kann's representative in July 1947 (according to a letter from Marie Hamon of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Archives, dated June 8, 2001, in curatorial file). See also the website Cultural Plunder by the Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg: Database of Objects at the Jeu de Paume, http://www.errproject.org/jeudepaume/card_view.php?CardId=144.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.