Winter Landscape, Giverny
Paul Cézanne, French, 1839 - 1906
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
25 5/8 x 31 7/8 inches (65.1 x 81 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Gallery 157, European Art 1850-1900, first floorAccession Number:
Gift of Frank and Alice Osborn, 1966
Gift from the artist to Mme. Baudy, Giverny, 1894 . Frank C. Osborn (1887-1948), Dobbs Ferry, New York, possibly before 1934 ; by inheritance to his wife Alice Newton Osborn (1888-1965), Manchester, Vermont, until d. 1965 ; bequest to PMA, 1966.
1. Owner of an inn at Giverny where Cézanne stayed between September 7-30, 1894. The painting was given to her as compensation, and she is reported to have sold it (see Vienna, Kunstforum, "Cézanne: Finished-Unfinished," exh. cat., January 20-April 25, 2000, no. 86, p. 294). Rivière, Le Maître Paul Cezanne, 1923, p. 206, and Cézanne: le peintre solitaire, 1933, p. 178, listed the painting as "coll. Pellerin" (i.e., Auguste Pellerin, 1852-1929), apparently in error.
2. The date of acquisition is unknown; however, a label on the back of the painting states that it is the property of Frank Osborn and gives his address as Dobbs Ferry, NY. Since Osborn moved permanently to Manchester, VT, c. 1933 (see letter to Carl Zigrosser, July 26, 1933, in registrar file), he probably purchased the painting around or prior to that date.
3. The painting was on loan at the museum from 1959 onward, according to PMA Bulletin, Summer 1966, p. 81.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.