Paul Cézanne, French, 1839 - 1906
Estate of the artist, 1906; sold by Cézanne's son to Ambroise Vollard and Bernheim-Jeune, Paris, 1907 until 1938 . With Wildenstein & Co., New York, by February 1944 ; Carroll S. Tyson, Jr. (1878-1956), Philadelphia, by 1947 ; private collection, Philadelphia; partial and promised gift to PMA, 1977.
1. Vollard and Bernheim-Jeune purchased 29 paintings and 187 watercolors from Cezanne's son on February 12 and March 11, 1907 (see John Rewald, The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: A Catalogue Raisonné, New York, 1996, p. 18). The watercolors were immediately divided between them, but the paintings seem to have been owned jointly by the neighboring dealers. Vollard is identified as the owner in Venturi, Cézanne, son art -- son oeuvre (Paris, 1936, no. 799) and Novotny, Cézanne und das Ende der wissenschaftlichen Perspektive (Vienna, 1938, no. 89, p. 203). The painting was not exhibited, which is typical of those held by Vollard. At Vollard's death in 1939 his collection was divided in half and remained in storage until about 1945. The 1944 Toronto exhibition to which the painting was lent by Wildenstein suggests that it was not considered part of Vollard's estate.
2. The Art Gallery of Toronto, "Loan Exhibition of Great Paintings in Aid of Allied Merchant Seamen", February 4-March 5, 1944, no. 4, lent by Wildenstein & Co., New York.
3. Tyson lent the painting to the exhibition at Wildenstein & Co., New York, "A Loan Exhibition of Cézanne for the benefit of the New York Infirmary," March 27-April 26, 1947, no. 66.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.