Still Life with Imperial Delphiniums
Ignace-Henri-Jean-Théodore Fantin-Latour, French, 1836 - 1904
Possibly Ruth Edwards, London. Lady Trent, England ; sale, Christie's, London, June 27, 1958, lot 42 . Miss. M. Holt, Capetown, South Africa; sale, Sotheby's, London, June 28, 1961, lot 167; purchased by Mayor Gallery, London; private collection, London, as of 1962 . Private collection, California . With Wildenstein & Co., New York; sold to Charlotte Dorrance Wright (1911-1977) and William Coxe Wright (d. 1970), St. Davids, PA, May 23, 1965, until his d. 1970 ; Charlotte Dorrance Wright; bequest to PMA, 1978.
1. Lady Trent may be Florence Rowe, the wife of Jesse Boot who became Lord Trent of Nottingham in 1928.
2. The Philadelphia Museum of Art copy of this auction catalogue is annotated Newman, possibly for M. Newman, Ltd., London.
3. Exhibited at Marlborough Fine Arts, London, "Fantin-Latour Flower Paintings," June-July 1962, no. 23 (lent from a private collection, London).
4. According to a note in the file. This may be confused with 1978-1-16 or 1978-1-14 which were also in California collections.
5. Information from 1977 Dorrance Wright estate inventory by Carroll Hogan (registrar file).
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.