Portrait of Isabelle Lemonnier
The face has been completely repainted
Édouard Manet, French, 1832 - 1883
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
13 x 16 1/8 inches (33 x 41 cm)Curatorial Department:
European Painting before 1900, Johnson CollectionObject Location:
Currently not on viewAccession Number:
Bequest of Charlotte Dorrance Wright, 1978
Social Tags [?]
There are currently no user tags associated with this object.
[Add Your Own Tags
In Manet's studio at his death, 1883; by inheritance to Mme Manet; Monsieur Fabre, Paris, by 1902 ; his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, May 10, 1902? (not confirmed); purchased by Léon Payen, Paris ; sold to Otto Gerstenberg (1848-1935), Berlin, through his employee Simon Oppenheimer as agent, April 4, 1912, until his d. 1935 ; by inheritance to his daughter Margarethe Scharf (1889-1961); her son Dieter Scharf (1926-2001), until the early 1960s; sold to Peter and Fritz Nathan (dealers), Zürich; sold to Wildenstein & Co., Paris in 1963 or 1964 ; with Wildenstein & Co., New York; sold to Charlotte Dorrance Wright (1911-1977) and William Coxe Wright (d. 1970), St. Davids, PA, January 14, 1965, until his d. 1970 ; Charlotte Dorrance Wright; bequest to PMA, 1978.
1. Adolphe Tabarant, Manet: histoire catalographique, 1931, no. 314, and subsequently Wildenstein and Rouart state that Fabre purchased the painting from Mme Manet in 1904. However, according to Théodore Duret (Histoire d'Édouard Manet et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1902, no. 239), Fabre was already the owner in 1902 , which agrees with provenance notes made by Otto Gerstenberg (see note 2). Tabarant also states erroniously that Fabre acquired the painting after Payen, whom he refers to as "Payen fils", i.e., the son of collector Léon Payen.
2. See letter from Simon Oppenheimer to Otto Gerstenberg, March 28, 1912, in which Oppenheimer relates that Payen purchased the painting from Fabre's collection at a Hôtel Drouot sale (expert: Bernheim) about 8 years previously (copy in curatorial file; courtesy of Julietta Scharf, Stiftung Sammlung Dieter Scharf zur Erinnerung an Otto Gerstenberg, Berlin). An annotation in the margin in Gerstenberg's hand gives the date of the 1902 Hôtel Drouot sale at which Payen acquired the painting from the Fabre collection; Ms. Scharf reads the date as "10/5 1902" (i.e., May 10, 1902).
3. See notes on purchases made by Gerstenberg (undated), letters from Oppenheimer to Gerstenberg of March 11 and 28 and April 4, 1912, and notes made by Margarete Gerstenberg (Otto Gerstenberg's daughter), courtesy of Julietta Scharf and Dr. Hanna Strzoda, Stiftung Sammlung Dieter Scharf zur Erinnerung an Otto Gerstenberg, Berlin (communications of July 2010-February 2011, copies in curatorial file). See also Thomas W. Gaehtgens and Julietta Scharf, "Die Sammlung Otto Gerstenberg in Berlin," in Die Moderne und ihre Sammler: Französische Kunst in Deutschem Privatbesitz vom Kaiserreich zur Weimarer Republik, Berlin, 2001, "Katalog der Sammlung Gerstenberg," p. 181.
4. The preceding provenance information courtesy of Julietta Scharf and Dr. Hanna Strzoda.
5. Information from 1977 Dorrance Wright estate inventory by Carroll Hogan (registrar file).