European Painting before 1900, Johnson Collection
Still Life with a Bouquet of DaisiesMade in France, Europe
Bouquet of Flowers
Vincent Willem van Gogh, Dutch, 1853 - 1890
Oil on canvas (possibly formerly on wood)
16 3/8 x 22 1/2 inches (41.6 x 57.2 cm)
Framed: 27 x 33 x 5 inches (68.6 x 83.8 x 12.7 cm)
* Gallery 165, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Eglin Gallery)
1978-1-33Bequest of Charlotte Dorrance Wright, 1978
Possibly with Mouwen (dealer); with Oldenzeel Art Gallery, Rotterdam; sold to Jan G. L. Nolst Trénité, Rotterdam, 1903 and still in 1939 ; by inheritance to his children; sold to E. J. van Wisselingh & Co. Art Gallery, Amsterdam, about 1950, to 1958; sale, Sotheby's, London, December 3, 1958, no. 154; E. L. Catz, Curaçao, 1960 ; with Lefevre Art Gallery, London, 1963-1965 (stock no. 269/63) ; sold to Wildenstein & Co., New York, July 15, 1965; sold to Charlotte Dorrance Wright (1911-1977) and William Coxe Wright (d. 1970), St. Davids, PA, April 4, 1966, until his d. 1970 ; Charlotte Dorrance Wright; bequest to PMA, 1978.
1. A letter in the curatorial file from Mr. A. S. Nolst Trénité, grandson of J. G. L. Nolst Trénité, dated December 4, 1970, includes a copy of his grandfather's cashbook confirming the 1903 purchase and suggests that a dealer named Mouwen may have purchased the painting from Van Gogh and sold it to Oldenzeel Art Gallery. De la Faille, Vincent van Gogh (New York and Paris, 1939), p. 170, no. 210, lists it as still being part of J. G. L. Nolst Trénité's collection. According to Trénité's letter, it passed by descent to J. G. L. Nolst Trénité's children (A. S. Trénité's aunt and uncle) who sold it to van Wisselingh Art Gallery, Amsterdam, around 1950. The gallery held it for eight years and exhibited it in 1956.
2. According to J.-B. de la Faille, The Works of Vincent van Gogh, New York, 1970, p. 180, no. F197.
3. Information from Lefevre Fine Art (communication dated 26 Feb. 2004, in curatorial file). The Lefevre Gallery included the painting in their exhibition, "XIX and XX Century French paintings," February 1962, no. 22, but according to their records they did not acquire it until 1963.
4. Per 1977 Dorrance Wright estate inventory by Carroll Hogan (registrar file).
Social Tags [?]
There are currently no user tags associated with this object.
[Add Your Own Tags
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.