European Painting before 1900, Johnson Collection
After the Bath (Woman Drying Herself)Made in France, Europe
Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas, French, 1834 - 1917
Oil on canvas
35 1/4 x 46 inches (89.5 x 116.8 cm)
* Gallery 165a, European Art 1850-1900, first floor
1980-6-1Purchased with funds from the estate of George D. Widener, 1980
Second sale of the Degas atelier, Galeries Georges Petit, Paris, December 11-13, 1918, no. 17; purchased by Dr. Georges Viau (1855-1939), Paris; sale, Georges Viau estate, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, December 11, 1942, no. 94 (illus.). Hermann Lutjens, Zürich, by 1950 ; Mme H. Lutjens, Zürich, by 1959 ; with Galerie Feilchenfeldt, Zürich, by 1973 ; with Marianne Feilchenfeldt, Zürich, by 1979; sold to PMA, February 20, 1980.
1. J. Grenier, "The Revolution of Color," XXe siècle, vol. 22, no. 15, 1950, p. 14 (as "Coll. Mme H. Lutjens, Zurich").
2. Lent to the exhibition "De Géricault à Matisse: chefs-d'oeuvre français des collections suisses," Paris, Petit Palais, March-May 1959, no. 44
3. Lent to the exhibition "50 Jahre Kunsthandelsverband der Schweiz," Kunsthaus Zürich, September 15-November 11, 1973, no. 41 (from label on reverse).
Social Tags [?]
There are currently no user tags associated with this object.
[Add Your Own Tags
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.