Pair of VasesMade in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, North and Central America
Made by the Tucker Factory, Philadelphia, 1826 - 1838. Painting attributed to William Ellis Tucker, American, 1800 - 1832.
Porcelain with enamel and gilt decoration; patinated brass handles
|Purchased with the Baugh-Barber Fund, the Thomas Skelton Harrison Fund, the Elizabeth Wandell Smith Fund, funds given in memory of Sophie E. Pennebaker, and with funds contributed by the Barra Foundation, Inc., Mrs. Henry W. Breyer, Mr. and Mrs. M. Todd Cooke, the Dietrich American Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. Anthony N. B. Garvan, the Philadelphia Savings Fund Society, and Andrew M. Rouse, 1984|
LabelIn the decades after independence from Great Britain, Philadelphians like Thomas and William Ellis Tucker took the lead artistically for the United States in the same way Athens had for the ancient world, earning the city its reputation as the “Athens of America.” The Tucker brothers’ factory, although not the first to produce the delicate material of porcelain in the New World, was the most successful in its twelve years of operation, able to withstand the high cost of labor and rival imports. These monumental vases are classical in their form, but elaborately decorated to celebrate another example of American ingenuity: Philadelphia’s Fairmount Water Works. Still standing today to the west of the Museum, this triumph of engineering brought growth to Philadelphia and the entire region by providing a reliable water supply.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.