Portrait of Madame Cézanne
Paul Cézanne, French, 1839 - 1906
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
24 3/8 x 20 1/8 inches (61.9 x 51.1 cm)
Frame: 34 3/8 × 29 5/16 × 2 1/8 inches (87.3 × 74.5 × 5.4 cm)Curatorial Department:
European PaintingObject Location:
* Gallery 165, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Eglin Gallery)Accession Number:
The Henry P. McIlhenny Collection in memory of Frances P. McIlhenny, 1986
Ambroise Vollard, Paris; possibly Walther Halvorsen, Oslo; Gottlieb Friedrich Reber, Lausanne; Paul Rosenberg, Paris, by 1926 ; Samuel Courtauld (1876-1947), London, by 1929 ; with Paul Rosenberg, New York, by 1930 ; sold to Henry P. McIlhenny, Philadelphia, by March 1934 ; bequest to PMA, 1986.
1. Exhibited at French Gallery, London, "Great Masters of the French XIXth Century [Rosenberg Collection], 1926, no. 2.
2. See Marie Dormoy, "La Collection Courtauld," L'Amour de l'Art, vol. 10, 1929, illus. p. 17; and J. Manson, "The Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Courtauld," Creative Art, 1929, p. 262.
3. Rosenberg lent the painting to the Rhode Island School of Design exhibition, "Modern French Art," 1930, no. 4.
4. See letter in the curatorial file dated March 24, 1934 from the Art Institute of Chicago to McIlhenny requesting the loan of the painting (see also letter in file from McIlhenny to his insurance agent dated May 6, 1935, in which he notes Rosenberg as the source of the purchase). Provenance per John Rewald, The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: A Catalogue Raisonné, New York, 1996, no. 685.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.