Vincent Willem van Gogh, Dutch, 1853 - 1890
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
28 7/8 x 36 3/8 inches (73.3 x 92.4 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Gallery 157, European Art 1850-1900, first floorAccession Number:
The Henry P. McIlhenny Collection in memory of Frances P. McIlhenny, 1986
Johanna van Gogh-Bonger, Amsterdam (widow of Theo van Gogh); sold to Hugo von Tschudi (1851-1911), Berlin, April 1903 ; by inheritance to his widow Angela von Tschudi, Munich, who placed it on extended loan to the Neue Pinakothek, Munich; sold to Paul Rosenberg & Co., Paris and New York, 1928, until 1949 ; sold to Henry P. McIlhenny, Philadelphia, May 19, 1949 ; bequest to PMA, 1986.
1. Purchased by Tschudi from the Munich Secession exhibition in 1903 (note in curatorial file).
2. See letter from Walter Feilchenfeldt to Peter C. Sutton dated September 11, 1989 (copy in curatorial file). The painting was exhibited almost every year between 1935-1948, including the traveling Belgrade, Buenos Aires, San Francisco, and Chicago exhibition between 1939-1941.
3. The receipt dated February 24, 1950 from Rosenberg to McIlhenny (copy in curatorial file), notes the first payment on May 19, 1949 and payment in full on February 24, 1950.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.