Flowers in a Vase
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, French, 1841 - 1919
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
25 1/4 x 21 inches (64.1 x 53.3 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Gallery 162, European Art 1850-1900, first floor (Vogt Gallery)Accession Number:
Gift of F. Otto Haas, and partial gift of the reserved life interest of Carole Haas Gravagno, 1993
Purchased from the artist by Durand-Ruel & Cie, Paris, July 19, 1888, until 1913; sold to Dr. Oskar Troplowitz (1863-1918) and his wife Gertrud (Mankiewicz) Troplowitz (1869-1920), Hamburg, 1913-1920 ; bequest to the Hamburger Kunsthalle, Hamburg, 1920; by exchange together with "Head of a Girl (Mlle Dobigny)" by Edgar Degas (Inv. Nr. E-2416) for "Feierabend" by Hans Thoma (Inv. Nr. 2734) to Karl Haberstock (dealer), Berlin, 1939; with Karl Haberstock, Berlin, 1939-1944; Reichsminister (retired) Geheimrat Dr. Heinrich Friedrich Albert (1874-1960), Berlin, September 1944-? . With Rosenberg and Stiebel, New York, after May 8, 1945. With M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1959 . Louis H. Silver (1901-1963), Chicago, by 1963; Silver estate; Silver estate sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, April 6, 1967, no. 26. With Wally Findlay Galleries, New York, by 1973 . Dr. F. Otto Haas, Philadelphia; gift of F. Otto Haas, and partial gift of the reserved life interest of his widow Carole Haas Gravagno to PMA, 1993.
1. Troplowitz was a Silesian-German pharmacist, entrepreneur and arts patron who bequeathed works by 19th and early 20th century French and German artists to the Hamburger Kunsthalle.
2. The preceding information courtesy of Dr. Ute Haug, Senior Curator, Provenance Research and Archiv, Hamburger Kunsthalle, email communication of March 6, 2012, in curatorial file.
3. See Parke Bernet 1967 sale catalogue.
4. See Guy-Patrice Dauberville and Michel Dauberville, Renoir: catalogue raisonné des tableaux, pastels, dessins et aquarelles, vol. 1, 1858-1881 (Paris, 2007), no. 41.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.