Museum Guides serve as a vital source of information, conducting daily tours of both the collections and selected special exhibitions. These tours are provided to diverse audiences, including people with disabilities and school groups. Admission to the Weekday Guide Program requires a two-year training commitment.
A limited number of applicants are accepted for each training period. Previous experience with art, art history, or public speaking is desirable but not required. In addition to the written application and cover letter an interview with the Executive Board members of the Museum Guides is required of all applicants. The Training
Museum Guide candidates attend weekly training sessions for two years on art appreciation, art history, the Museum's collections and the skills associated with guiding. These sessions are conducted by the Division of Education and the Museum's curatorial staff and experienced guides. Once training is completed, candidates serve as intern Museum Guides for one year, honing their tours and staffing the Museum Information Desks. Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to adapt to changes and to work well with the public
- Keen interest in learning and ability to conduct independent research
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with visitors of all age and abilities, Museum staff and volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- Well-prepared, dependable and punctual
- Serve a minimum number of hours each year by both conducting tours and staffing the Information Desks
- Participate in continuing education programs each year
- Possess basic computer skills
- Have a valid email address with reliable access to the internet
- Agree to become a member of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and keep that membership current during tenure as a Volunteer
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
- Be able to conduct one-hour tours and navigate a large building with multiple floors
- Conduct a one hour tour without using of notes
Prospective volunteers must submit a cover letter and completed application form. Applications may be downloaded below. The receipt of your application will be acknowledged. Please return the application and cover letter to: Philadelphia Museum of Art Volunteer Services Department
P.O. Box 7646
Philadelphia, PA 19101-7646 Tel.: 215-684-7920
Download a Copy of the Application
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print this PDF file.
View and print the Volunteer Application. [33 KB]
If you are unable to download the application, contact Volunteer Services and request that it be sent to you via regular mail.
For more information, please contact Volunteer Services by phone at (215) 684-7920, or by fax at (215) 236-5315.