Return to Previous Page


Library Installation

John G. Johnson
Art and book connoisseur John G. Johnson, c. 1907
Traveling through the Pages: The John G. Johnson Library and Papers
Through February 9, 2018

Renowned Philadelphia lawyer John G. Johnson (1841–1917) enjoyed travel in his pursuit of paintings and sculpture, but he also derived pleasure and expertise from art books and related publications. He was studious in assessing potential art purchases and amassed a remarkable selection of books, auction catalogues, and journals.

After Johnson’s death in 1917, his library of nearly 4,000 volumes accompanied the art collection that came to the Museum as part of his bequest to the City of Philadelphia. First installed in 1933 in the Museum’s curatorial offices, his library transferred to the Museum Library in the 1990s.

The Johnson library provides a solid foundation in art historical scholarship of the 1800s and early 1900s. Included in this display are rare auction catalogues and other treasures from his library that have intrigued for more than a century. This installation complements the exhibition Old Masters Now: Celebrating the Johnson Collection.

Location
Library Reading Room, second floor, Perelman Building


Return to Previous Page