George C. A. Barbour, a construction engineer for the Fairmount Museum project, was appointed Superintendent of the new building at its opening in 1928. With Memorial Hall's continued operation, Barbour's office was designated as "Buildings" to reflect both facilities. He served as General Superintendent until his retirement in 1961, at which time Alan Corson, Jr. assumed the position. Robert Lipsey succeeded Corson, serving from 1969 to 1978.
During these tenures, the office designation changed. From 1949 to 1952, the General Superintendent position was simply considered part of the administrative staff. In 1953, Barbour headed "Construction and Operation," with Jane Edmiston as Personnel and Budget Officer. In 1971, at the time of Lipsey's tenure, the General Superintendent became a City appointment, along with the newly-created position of Engineer Technician, held by Walter Cheatham. Edmiston also became a City employee, with her appointment as Clerical Supervisor. The following year, both positions were eliminated. Lipsey's position ended with his retirement in 1978.