Historical Note


Ella Schaap joined the Museum staff in 1980 as a volunteer in the Medieval and Renaissance Decorative Arts department. During this period, the Museum divided the administration of its decorative art collections between this department and that of European Decorative Arts after 1700. By 1982, Schaap was named Curatorial Associate for the Garvan Tiles Exhibition and approximately one year later for the Dutch Tiles Collection.