The PMA Library has been an important resource throughout its long history. Gifts of books are recorded as early as 1877, and funds for book purchases came with the Wilstach Collection in 1893. Hired as Librarian in 1928, Paul Vanderbilt built the collection and its organization until leaving in 1942. Marjorie Lyons then assumed the role, and in 1968 Barbara Sevy became Librarian. By 1989, when Anita Gilden succeeded Sevy as Librarian, the department had grown to a staff of six full-time employees, including an archivist, slide librarian, and research and reference librarian. Gilden oversaw the Library until 1993.