Francis Henry Taylor came to PMA in 1927 as Assistant Curator of Sculpture. He was soon appointed Curator of Medieval Art, his specialty, a post he held until 1931. At that time he went to Worcestor Art Museum. In 1940 he accepted the Directorship of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
It wasn't until 1968 that Medieval art was again recognized as a separate curatorial designation. This time, however, the department's purview expanded, becoming Medieval and Renaissance Decorative Arts. David DuBon, who had come to PMA in 1958 as an Assistant Curator in the Decorative Arts Department, headed the newly-named department. During the time after Taylor left until DuBon arrived, Medieval Art was part of the Department of Decorative Arts.