When the Painting and Sculpture Departments were allied, the Painting curators were Arthur Edwin Bye from 1922 to 1928, and Henry Clifford from 1929 to 1965, while the Sculpture curators were Horace H. F. Jayne and Francis H. Taylor from 1927-1930. Of special interest is Bye's bibliography and Clifford's participation with the American Committee for the Restoration of Italian Monuments.
Henry Gardiner was Assistant Curator in the Painting Department (under Henry Clifford) from 1960 to 1968. From 1968 to 1971 John L. Tancock was Associate Curator of Sculpture and there was no official Curator of Painting. In 1972 Anne d'Harnoncourt was named Associate Curator of Twentieth Century Painting and Joseph J. Rishel was Associate Curator of Painting before 1900. In 1973 the Department was split, with Anne d'Harnoncourt as Curator in the newly established Twentieth Century Art Department, and Joseph Rishel became the Curator of Painting in the new European Painting before 1900 Department. Peter Sutton came in 1979 as Assistant Curator, was named Associate Curator in 1982 and left in 1984 to join the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.