The Department was initiated in 1923 under Arthur Edwin Bye, curator of Paintings. In 1930 Boies Penrose became the first curator of Prints, and in 1941 Carl Zigrosser succeeded him. Kneeland McNulty took over in 1963 after Zigrosser retired. McNulty served as assistant curator from 1952 until 1961, and associate curator from 1961 to 1964. He retired in 1980. The files from 1952 through 1963 were a combined effort upon the parts of these two curators, hence almost impossible to separate.