Scope and Content Note
The materials of the "Subgroup A: Rodin Museum" range from 1892 - 1986, including materials dating from the inception of the Rodin Museum. The records of the collection reflect the administration of the Rodin Museum, including correspondence, acquisitions receipts, lecture notes, publications, photographs, and copies of the bequest agreement with Fairmount Park Commissioners. The emphasis of the collection is primarily focused on the years when John L. Tancock resided as Associate Curator of Painting and Sculpture, from 1968 to 1972.
The records of "Subgroup B: Rodin Museum reinstallation" span from 1982-1990. This subgroup contains the records, which were generated during the time in which the Rodin Museum had considerable renovation work done on both the building and grounds. During the renovation period, which included, replacing the entire electrical system and installing handicapped entrances the small bronzes, marbles and plasters located in areas being worked on were placed in storage. These records contain, conservation reports performed on the various objects, prior to their reinstallation, contractor negotiations, financial records, blueprints and reports.
Throughout the history of the Rodin Museum, the Directors' of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, as well as, the Curators of the Painting and Sculpture Department oversaw the administration of the Museum. Early records of the Rodin Museum will often be found in the Director's papers as well as the Curatorial or Department records. John Tancock served as the Curator of the Rodin Museum from 1968-1972 and generated a large amount of the records in Subgroup A, Rodin Museum. The department of European Painting before 1900 continued to Administer the Rodin Museum and collection after his departure. Many of the architectural plans for the Rodin Museum are found in the Facilities-Blueprint storage room, also known as the Safety Officer's Office. The Head of Facilities and Operations Department oversees the architectural drawings and is the contact person for access to those drawings. A photocopy of the building specification volume submitted by the architects Paul P. Cret and Jacques Greber in 1928 is available in the Archives Reference Files.