Historical Note


In 1931, the Pennsylvania Museum embarked upon an innovative, if short-lived, experiment in reaching new audiences by opening a branch site at the 69th Street Community Center. Located just outside the city limits in Delaware County with Philip N. Youtz as Curator, the Branch Museum mounted twenty-three exhibitions during its operation--ranging from Chinese art to 19th-century American painting. The Museum attracted over 215,000 visitors in its first year, but despite its popularity and generous funding from the Carnegie Foundation and private donor John H. McClatchy, financial difficulties forced it to close permanently on October 17, 1932.

Works Consulted