The young and young at heart are invited to attend a special Book Day at the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Sunday, November 24, 1996. The Book Day will feature booksignings by noted photographer William Wegman (perhaps best known for a series of children's books illustrated with amusing vignettes "starring" his posed, stoic-looking dogs), and locally-based, nationally-acclaimed children's author/illustrator David Wiesner (renowned for such family classics as Tuesday, Hurricane and Night of the Gargoyles).
Book Day at the Museum will also include family tours, a children's hands-on workshop, and two performances of Multicultural Story Salad, prepared by the "chefs" of Maximillion Productions. The performances ($1 for Members, $2 for non-Members) incorporate eight children's books from around the world. The 12:30 p.m. performance will be interpreted in sign language. All books highlighted during the day will be available in the Museum Store.
A schedule of events is listed below. For additional information, call (215) 684-7605.
- 10:00-4:00 Self-guided activity sheets: Stories in Art
- 10:30-2:00 Make-and-Take Workshop: Bookmaking
- 10:30 & 12:30 Performance: Multicultural Story Salad
- 11:30-12:30 William Wegman booksigning
- 12:00-2:30 Drawing Together
- 1:30-2:30 David Wiesner booksigning
- 1:30 & 2:30 Storytelling in the Galleries