Paul Cézanne, French, 1839 - 1906
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
28 3/4 × 36 3/16 inches (73 × 91.9 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Special Exhibition Galleries, first floor (Dorrance Galleries)Accession Number:
The George W. Elkins Collection, 1936
Possibly estate of the artist, 1906; with Ambroise Vollard, Paris, and Bernheim-Jeune, Paris, c. 1907-1936 ; with Paul Rosenberg, Paris and New York, by 1936 ; sold to the City of Philadelphia for the George W. Elkins Collection, July 7, 1936 .
1. The preceding information per John Rewald, The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: A Catalogue Raisonné, New York, 1996, no. 912. Rewald, Cézanne et Zola, Paris, 1936, fig. 77, lists the painting as coll. Vollard. According to Paul Rosenberg, Vollard purchased the painting directly from Cézanne (letter to Fiske Kimball, July 7, 1936, in curatorial file).
2. Published by Lionello Venturi, Cézanne, son art -- son oeuvre, Paris, 1936, no. 798, as coll. Paul Rosenberg, from Vollard.
3. Dated receipt from Rosenberg in registrar file.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.