Pardon our dust while we update this corner of the website.

Quilt

Made by the Ladies of the Second Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia

Geography:
Made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, North and Central America

Date:
1841

Medium:
White cotton with red and blue printed cotton patchwork and printed chintz appliqué with inked named and inscriptions

Dimensions:
9 feet 2 1/2 inches × 10 feet 5 inches (280.7 × 317.5 cm)

Curatorial Department:
Costume and Textiles

Object Location:

Currently not on view

Accession Number:
2000-138-1

Credit Line:
Gift of Cornelia Newlin Borgerhoff, 2000

Social Tags [?]

applique [x]   broderie perse [x]   chintz [x]   irish chain [x]   patchwork [x]   quilt [x]  


[Add Your Own Tags]

Label:
In 1837, the Presbyterian Church split into the Old School and New School, a schism mirrored in the design of the two Presbyterian quilts on view here. This example was made by members of the Second Presbyterian Church, a conservative congregation then located at Seventh and Arch Streets in Philadelphia. It is dedicated to Cornelius C. Cuyler, D.D., who served as pastor from 1834 to 1850. The design is a traditional pieced-work pattern known as Double Irish Chain and incorporates chintz fabric appliqués. It was common during this period to supplement a pastor's salary with the gift of a quilt, with the parishioners making a monetary contribution to have their name on a block.