Apple Tree in the Meadow, Eragny
Pommier dans le pré, Éragny
Camille Pissarro, French, 1830 - 1903
Made in France, Europe Date:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
17 3/4 × 21 1/4 inches (45.1 × 54 cm)Curatorial Department:
European PaintingObject Location:
Currently not on viewAccession Number:
Gift of John C. Haas and Chara C. Haas, 2011
The fields and gardens around Pissarro’s home in Éragny, a small village on the river Epte about ninety miles northwest of Paris, were the subject of his work for more than twenty years. This view of the meadow adjacent to Pissarro’s house (the brick building visible on the left) is marked by the vibrant colors and strongly-patterned brush and palette knife work common in the artist’s paintings of the 1890s. Pissarro was fond of setting up his easel in various places around the village and working outdoors.
Purchased from the artist by Durand-Ruel et Cie, Paris, December 16, 1893 ; sold to Dudensing Galleries, New York, on July 21, 1920 ; sold back to Durand-Ruel on November 23, 1929, and still owned in 1936. Sale, "Collection de Madame de R.," Paris, Musée Galliera, June 24, 1968, no. 62 ("Pommiers, soleil couchant, Éragny", illus.) ; Madame Stubel, Brussels . With Wally F. Galleries, New York (stock no. 26834), by October 9, 1968 ; sold to John Charles Haas (1918-2011) and Chara Cooper Haas (1927-2012), Villanova, PA, October 12, 1968 ; Chara Cooper Haas; gift to PMA, 2011.
1. Durand-Ruel photo no. 2682, and Durand-Ruel photographic archives no. 21166, according to Wally F. Galleries receipt.
2. Joachim Pissarro and Claire Durand-Ruel Snollaerts, Pissarro: Critical Catalogue of Paintings, Milan and Paris, 2005, no. 995. Pissarro and Snollaerts list the name as "Valentine Gallery", however, there was no gallery of that name until 1927. Most likely the painting was purchased by F. Valentine Dudensing on behalf of the gallery Richard Dudensing & Son, later Dudensing Galleries, belonging to his father, Frank, for whom he worked as manager at the time before opening his own gallery in 1926, named first the F. Valentine Dudensing Gallery and then the Valentine Gallery in 1927. Valentine Dudensing and his wife made the first of their annual buying trips to Europe in summer 1920 (communication from Julia May Boddewyn, March 6, 2017, in curatorial file). The Valentine Gallery specialized in modernist art, whereas the Dudensing Galleries specialized in 19th century art. However, it's possible that Valentine Dudensing subsequently acquired it for his own gallery and later sold it back to Durand-Ruel.
3. The consignor of this lot is listed as "Collection de Madame de R." (this collection is unidentified).
4. See Pissarro and Snollaerts, no. 995.
5. "Wally F." stands for Wally Findlay; the dealership is now known as Wally Findlay Galleries.
6. Copy of dated receipt from Wally F. Galleries to Mr. & Mrs. John C. Haas in curatorial file.