Apple Tree in the Meadow, Eragny
Pommier dans le pré, Éragny
Camille Pissarro, French, 1830 - 1903
The fields and gardens around Pissarro’s home in Éragny, a small village on the river Epte about ninety miles northwest of Paris, were the subject of his work for more than twenty years. This view of the meadow adjacent to Pissarro’s house (the brick building visible on the left) is marked by the vibrant colors and strongly-patterned brush and palette knife work common in the artist’s paintings of the 1890s. Pissarro was fond of setting up his easel in various places around the village and working outdoors.
Purchased from the artist by Durand-Ruel et Cie, Paris, December 16, 1893 ; sold to Valentine Gallery, New York, on July 21, 1920 ; sold back to Durand-Ruel on November 23, 1929, and still owned in 1936. Sale, "Collection de Madame de R.," Paris, Musée Galliera, June 24, 1968, no. 62 ("Pommiers, soleil couchant, Éragny", illus.) ; Madame Stubel, Brussels . With Wally F. Galleries, New York (stock no. 26834), by October 9, 1968 ; sold to John Charles Haas (1918-2011) and Chara Cooper Haas (1927-2012), Villanova, PA, October 12, 1968 ; Chara Cooper Haas; gift to PMA, 2011.
1. Durand-Ruel photo no. 2682, and Durand-Ruel photographic archives no. 21166, according to Wally F. Galleries receipt.
2. Valentine Gallery, founded by Valentine Dudensing, was first known as Dudensing Gallery, then renamed F. Valentine Dudensing in about 1926, and finally Valentine Gallery.
3. The consignor of this lot is listed as "Collection de Madame de R." (this collection is unidentified).
4. Preceding provenance per Joachim Pissarro and Claire Durand-Ruel Snollaerts, Pissarro: Critical Catalogue of Paintings, Milan and Paris, 2005, no. 995.
5. "Wally F." stands for Wally Findlay; the dealership is now known as Wally Findlay Galleries.
6. Copy of dated receipt from Wally F. Galleries to Mr. & Mrs. John C. Haas in curatorial file.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.