George Morland, English, 1763 - 1804
Made in England, Europe Date:
1790 or 1791Medium:
Oil on canvasDimensions:
28 x 36 inches (71.1 x 91.4 cm)Curatorial Department:
* Gallery 398, European Art 1500-1850, third floorAccession Number:
Gift of Mrs. Gordon A. Hardwick and Mrs. W. Newbold Ely in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Roland L. Taylor, 1944
Thomas James Barratt (1842-1914), Bell Moor, Hampstead Heath, London, by 1898 ; sale, Christie's, London, May 11, 1916, no. 74; purchased by Joseph Beecham (1848-1916), London, 1st Baronet Beecham, of Ewanville, Huyston, Lancaster. Mrs. W. Cox. Sale, Christie's, May 14, 1926, no. 61; purchased by Urquhart . With French Gallery . Roland Leslie Taylor (1869-1943), Philadelphia, by 1929? ; by inheritance to his daughters Marjorie T. Hardwick (Mrs. Gordon A. Hardwick) and Elisabeth T. Ely (Mrs. W. Newbold Ely); gift to PMA, 1944.
1. See the illustration in the 1898 Magazine of Art article on the collection of Barratt; it was also lent by Barratt to the Burlington House exhibition, 1903.
2. Buyer name listed in Art Prices Current, new series vol. 5 (1925-26), p. 273.
3. For the preceding provenance see Richard Dorment, British painting in the Philadelphia Museum of Art: From the Seventeenth through the Nineteenth Century, Philadelphia, 1986, no. 59, pp. 237-238.
4. Perhaps by 1929 since a Baltimore Museum of Art loan label (L29.16.21) is attached to the reverse like several other paintings owned by Taylor.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.