A larger image is unavailable for this object
due to copyright, trademark or related rights.
Self-Portrait with White Collar
Marc Chagall, French (born Russia), 1887 - 1985
Made in Vitebsk, Belarus, Europe Date:
Oil on cardboardDimensions:
11 1/2 x 10 1/8inches (29.2 x 25.7cm)
Framed: 14 1/8 x 13 x 1 7/8 inches (35.9 x 33 x 4.8 cm)Copyright:
© Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris
* Gallery 267a, Modern and Contemporary Art, second floorAccession Number:
The Louis E. Stern Collection, 1963
Private collection, Belgium, as of 1929 . Chester Dale (1883-1962), New York, as of 1944; sale, Chester Dale, Parke-Bernet, New York, March 16, 1944, no. 13 (illus.) ; purchased by Pierre Matisse (dealer). Louis E. Stern, New York, 1944 (from Matisse?) ; bequest to PMA, 1963.
1. See Sélection, no. 6, 1929, illus. p. 95, as "Coll. part[iculaire], Belgique." In his 1928 Chagall monograph André Salmon records at least four different collectors of Chagall in Belgium.
2. Listed as "property of a New York private collector." The painting was not included in exhibitions of the Chester Dale collection in 1928, 1931, 1942 or 1943, nor was it included in the 1929 and 1943 monographs on the Chester Dale collection.
3. Stern lent the painting to the exhibition "French Paintings of the 20th Century" at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in 1944-45.
* Works in the collection are moved off view for many different reasons. Although gallery locations on the website are updated regularly, there is no guarantee that this object will be on display on the day of your visit.