Designed by Charles Eames, American, 1907 - 1978, and Ray Eames, American, 1912 - 1988. Shell made from 1950 to c. 1961 by Zenith Plastics Company, Gardena, California. Made for the Herman Miller Furniture Company, Zeeland, Michigan, 1923 - present.
Charles and Ray Eames designed the shell of this chair in 1948; the rockers were added in 1950. These chairs were available to the public until 1968, after which they were given as gifts of Herman Miller Furniture Company to employees celebrating the birth or adoption of a child.