VAST (Visual Arts as Sources for Teaching)
Insider | Outsider: Building Inclusive Classrooms, Museums, and Cultures
July 8–12, 2019Pre-K–12 teachers, immerse yourselves in the museum’s collections and explore art as a classroom resource during this weeklong seminar. What does it mean to be an insider? What does it mean to be an outsider? This summer we explore the lessons that art and the museum can teach us about inclusivity and individuality. Experiment with object-based teaching strategies for building a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom and beyond. Reinvigorate your creative spirit, connect with colleagues, and refresh your classroom teaching with new ideas. In this seminar, enjoy:
9:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
9:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Creative warm-up activities
- Presentations by museum staff and guest scholars
- Gallery sessions with museum educators
- Hands-on workshops
- Field trips
Professional Development & Academic CreditsRegister for this seminar and earn 30 Act 48 or NJ professional development hours or 2 graduate credits (for additional tuition paid to the University of the Arts).
Cost$260 ($210 for museum members) Does not include optional tuition for academic credit paid to the University of the Arts
Stay in TouchSign up for our School and Teacher Programs e-newsletter to learn about all our offerings for educators.
How to Participate
- Submit an application by April 24, 2019.
- Find out if you are accepted by May 1, 2019. Public and charter school teachers in the School District of Philadelphia are automatically considered for a scholarship when they apply and will be notified about funding on the same date.
- Register by May 15, 2019. Registration is $260 ($210 for museum members).
- Graduate credit: If you would like to take the seminar for graduate credit, you must also register for the course through the University of the Arts. The fee is $500 (discounts available). There will be two one-hour meetings and a final assignment for those getting graduate credit.
All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
SponsorsVAST is a Dolfinger-McMahon and Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Foundation Teacher Education Program.
For more information, please contact Education: School & Teacher Programs by phone at 215-684-7580, by fax at 215-236-4063, or by e-mail at .