VAST (Visual Arts as Sources for Teaching) 2021
Retreat, Recharge, and Restore through ArtJuly 15, 16, 19, 20 & 23
“Art is the highest form of hope.”–Gerhard Richter
In response to an unprecedented year of challenges, VAST (Visual Arts as Sources for Teaching) summer teacher seminar will explore the ways that art can help us flourish. Discover, create, and share art and ideas that support our students’ and our own social and emotional learning. This hybrid program combines online sessions (lectures and discussions) with individual time spent either in the museum or exploring art at home.
- Online Sessions: 10:00 a.m.–noon on July 15, 16, 19, and 20 with final presentations on July 23
- Pre-assignment, to be completed either at the museum or at home (estimated 1 hour)
- Final project, to be completed either at the museum or at home (estimated 3 hours)
Things to Know
- Designed for active teachers working in classrooms or other educational settings.
- Earn 14 Act 48 or NJ professional development hours.
- Registration fee for nonmembers includes a one-year museum membership.
- Teachers in public or charter schools in the School District of Philadelphia: For free registration, email ResourceCenter@philamuseum.org with the name of your school.
What is VAST?Pre-K–12 teachers, immerse yourselves in the museum’s collections and explore art as a classroom resource during this weeklong seminar. Reinvigorate your creative spirit, connect with colleagues, and refresh your classroom teaching with new ideas. In this seminar, enjoy:
- Creative warm-up activities
- Presentations by museum staff and guest scholars
- Gallery sessions with museum educators
- Hands-on workshops
- Field trips
- 2019: Insider | Outsider: Building Inclusive, Classrooms, Museums, and Cultures
- 2018: Art as the Spark for Socially Engaged Teaching and Learning
- 2017: Driving Creativity: Developing Original Ideas
- 2016: Unlocking Creativity
- 2015: Art at the Center of Interdisciplinary Teaching
Stay in TouchSign up for our School and Teacher Programs e-newsletter to learn about all our offerings for educators.
SponsorsVAST is a Dolfinger-McMahon and Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Foundation Teacher Education Program.
For more information, please contact Education: School & Teacher Programs by phone at 215-684-7580, by fax at 215-236-4063, or by e-mail at .