France, Paris, c. 1510
Dominic and His Dog. This
manuscript is called a processional because it contains musical
chants for processions celebrating the major events of the church
year. The miniature marks the August 4th feast day of Saint Dominic,
the founder of the Order of Friars Preachers, also known as the
Dominicans. The book belonged to Poissy, a Dominican house for nuns
founded by King Philip IV of France in 1298.
Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department, Lewis E 7, fol.